Postdoctoral Researcher Tablet Collection Oriental Institute
Faculty - Instructor/Collegiate Assistant Prof.
The Oriental Institute and the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations of the University of Chicago invite applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Rank of Instructor at the Tablet Collection of the Oriental Institute, expected start date of October 1, 2022, or as soon as possible thereafter. This is a twenty-four-month, non-renewable appointment.
The Postdoctoral Researcher performs the following tasks under the supervision of the Tablet Collection Curator, Susanne Paulus.
- Scholarly cataloguing of approximately 6,000 Akkadian and Sumerian cuneiform tablets in the OI Tablet Collection in the Integrated Database of the OI (IDB)
- Facilitating the digitization of the Tablet Collection, working with the staff of the Tablet Collections including undergraduate and graduate students, and OI volunteers
- Performing tasks in connection with the exhibition “Going to School in Nippur 3750 years ago” (opening fall 2023) including research, writing, and editing of display and catalogue entries
- Organizing and participating in outreach efforts of the Tablet Collection through talks, gallery tours, and social media
- Advancing their own research agenda under the mentorship of Dr. Paulus
- Teaching one quarter-length course per year in the Cuneiform Studies Program
Applicants must have completed all requirements for the PhD in Cuneiform Studies (Assyriology, Sumeroloy, or a related area) by the start date of the appointment. Applicants should have an active research agenda in their area of specialization. Previous teaching experience at the University level is desirable. Applicants with experience in cuneiform epigraphy and digitization methods are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, candidates must submit their application by July 31st, 2022, through the University of Chicago’s Academic Recruitment site at apply.interfolio.com/108755
Applicants must provide a two-page cover letter addressing fitness and motivation for the position, personal research agenda, and teaching experience and philosophy, a curriculum vitae, one (1) writing sample (article or chapter), and three (3) letters of reference. Only complete applications can be considered.
Inquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Tablet Collection Search.” This position is contingent on final budgetary approval.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages diverse perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange. The University’s Statements on Diversity are at https://provost.uchicago.edu/statements-diversity.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-834-3988 or email email@example.com with their request.