View of the human-headed winged bull (lamassu) and neighboring relief panels from the royal palace of Sargon II (721–705 BCE) at the Assyrian capital city of Dur-Sharrukin (modern Khorsabad).
A set of 8-spoke bronze wheels, discovered during the excavations the Nabu Temple at Dur-Sharrukin, dated to the reign of Sargon II (721–705 BCE) (A11811, A11813).
Section of a bronze relief plaque that was once mounted on the wooden doors at the entranceway to the Shamash Temple at Dur-Sharrukin, dated to the reign of Sargon II (721–705 BCE) (A12468).
The Yelda Khorsabad Court recreates part of the interior of a palace courtyard of the Assyrian king Sargon II (721–705 BCE) from Dur-Sharrukin (modern Khorsabad), giving visitors the opportunity to learn about Assyrian royal building under the watch of a 40-ton human-headed winged bull (lamassu). Other highlights include a section of a brick-brick panel and embossed bronze bands from Assyrian temples, a relief panel of a winged mythological figure (apkallu) from Kalhu (modern Nimrud), and a digital recreation of the citadel of Dur-Sharrukin.
The majority of objects in the Yelda Khorsabad Court and Dr. Norman Solhkhah Family Assyrian Empire Gallery were excavated by ISAC's Iraq Expedition (1929–1935) at the archaeological site of Khorsabad (ancient Dur-Sharrukin, “Fortress of Sargon”). Additional objects on display demonstrate the geographical extent of the empire since they were excavated by ISAC at sites beyond the Assyrian heartland, including Nippur in southern Iraq and Tell Fakhariyah in Syria.